Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tie It Up with a Bow!

I'm not really sure if I can adequately tell you how funny this whole scene with my husband just played out but I'll try. When I got home tonight, he announced that he had made a shopping trip to the Belks today because he needed some shirts . . . and when he got there they had ties 50% off take an extra 40% off so he got ties too. Hey, this pot can't call that kettle black because as you know, I totally get that whole mentality. So, he goes in the bedroom and comes back with the bag. Dark blue shirt . . nice. White shirt . . . good. New ties . . . okay. Then, he gets out this something wrapped in tissue. Well, I've been to the Belks many times and I'm not sure I've ever bought anything that they wrapped in tissue. Needless to say, I'm intrigued. Now let me just preface this by saying that I have known my husband for over 26 years and never in all those years has he ever expressed an interest in owning one of these. Never. Much less interest in wearing one in public. So just guess what he purchased with his hard earned money? He got a bow tie. A. bow. tie. My mind immediately started flashing images somewhere between Winston Churchill and Pee Wee Herman. Stop - don't even go there I thought. So with an open mind I asked . . . "why?" "Well, I thought I might try something new" he said. "Do you know how to tie a bow tie?" I said. "Nope. Sure don't but I can learn."

You know I just have to love a man who's not afraid of a fashion challenge. Life's short. Live on the edge and all that. Nope, my husband won't succumb to petty peer fashion pressure. A rebel. That's what he is.

So he proceeded to go to the place where all useful and essential information can be found: You Tube.
And found Mr. Lucky Levenson (I am not kidding) from Columbia, SC to tutor him in the fine art of bow tie tying.


Now as far as the fabric, it is really nice. Blue and yellow paisley which in itself is masculine yet summery and chic.

So, here we go. Nope. Didn't make it on the first try.


Or on the second try. But closer.

Or the third try. And apparently this face had to go along with the whole look. I just said a little silent prayer that he doesn't make this face when we go out in public together.

And that's what goes on around here. So now between my Twistables obsession and this whole fashion paradigm shift in my husband, I'm sure you're convinced we are one bizarre couple. I will tell you this - there is never a dull moment. And that is exactly the way we like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment