Saturday, June 12, 2010

What I love about June 2010

Well, I am all out of whack and off schedule but since that's never stopped me before, I'll just proceed. Let's talk a little about what has gone on and is going on in June.

1. My 26th wedding anniversary. I was blessed to marry one of the most amazing men I know on June 2nd, 1984.
***edited to add: When I read this statement later it sounded like I know lots of amazing men. While I'm sure there are a'plenty, in my heart, there are three others: my son, my daddy and my father-in-law.
2. Since this has been quite the topic of discussion on the radio program, I will fully admit to my blog audience as well, that I got a spray tan last Tuesday. Yes, I did. My very first time. It was quite the experience. If you've never had one, everyone should at least once in their lifetime. I mean what other time would you stand practically nude in front of a woman you just met two minutes earlier? Oh dear.
When I went into the room, she gave me a shower cap with a baggie inside of it. Hmmm. What is this? I asked. Those are your "paper garments," she said. Oh really. If I had laid them both side by side they would have been the equivalent of the amount of paper in one standard size Bounty paper towel. I am not exaggerating. And these are supposed to cover me? You've got to be kidding. And, get this, the bigger of the two "garments" went on the top half of my body. I told her straight up that that was completely backwards for this girl. Could I just switch them? Well, if you've seen them you know that the answer to that question would be no. So I put what little paper I had been given on my body and prepared for the humiliation.
I stepped into the tent and these are her exact words, "you really have too much loose paper in your top; you are going to get funky lines if you wear that. Let's just throw that thing in the floor." Okay. So now I'm standing there with half a paper towel covering me. Here we go - I think I'll just close my eyes and soon it will be over. About ten minutes later, I stepped out with a deep dark tropical tan. Not really. Not when you start with the body the shade of ivory soap. I did come out a little darker than I went in. After all, I didn't want my fake tan to look fake. It's a fine line you know. No pun intended.
3. This Tuesday night, D and I will head down to Atlanta to a fundraiser. This should be fun. It will be held in the "antique car barn" of one of our grocery friends. This idea was spurred by Butch's "car barn" fundraiser back in the spring. In both cases, the word "barn" is a gross understatement about the quality of these buildings and it's contents.
4. Next Sunday is Father's Day! The original plan was to go out on the boat in the afternoon for a leisurely stroll around the lake. This has been our Father's Day tradition for the past several years. However, the boat is experiencing technical difficulties so we may have to go to plan B. Not sure what that is just yet but as long as the family is together, it will be a good thing.
5. On Tuesday, the 22nd, I'm going to begin my first ever online Bible study. I've seen these in the blog world the past few summers but never participated. This one is through Precept Ministries with the study on Hebrews 11. I'll be posting more about this very soon.
6. Okay, I've told you before that I love Dorothea Benton Frank's books. And that she has a new one scheduled for release Tuesday (I think) titled "Low Country Summer." This is the sequel to "Plantation" which I just finished. Guess what? She's doing a book tour and coming to Discover Mills on Saturday, June 26th. Well, I'm there. I can hardly wait.
7. Our family is going to load up like the Griswolds and head down to the Stone Mountain Laser Show the end of the month. We haven't been in years and it is high time we went back.
8. I've got to admit I'm a little sad right now. For the past 20 years, I have been involved with Vacation Bible School at our church. It begins Monday, and I won't be there. Throughout those 20 years, I have been in the classroom with every age (teaching in my children's classrooms), worked in crafts, snacks, and music. It's alot of work but I loved every minute of it (almost - :)). VBS is one of many worthwhile outreaches of our church. Both of my children accepted Christ during VBS. Both of my children served as helpers long after they graduated from the program. Our family has a very special place in our hearts for VBS. Time goes on, seasons change and I will miss it dearly but I will never, ever forget the impact that it had on our family. I will be praying diligently this week for all of the children, parents and volunteers who will be involved.
9. While scheduled activities are at a minimum this month, plans for the late summer and fall are in high gear. We have so much in the works, my head is swimming. I will give you a couple of teasers: 1. The "What's for Supper?" concept will be growing and expanding. And it's going to be fun.
2. Wonderful Events will be partnering (along with others) for a huge event in August held here in Gainesville to benefit an organization I can't believe I just found out about - Brides Against Breast Cancer. Oh, this is going to be fabulous. I'll be giving you a date to mark on your calendar very soon. Even if you aren't a bride-to-be, you will want to come to this event to support this very worthy organization.
And that's just two things in the mix. There are more.
10. Summertime and the living is easy. (thanks George Gershwin) Cut a watermelon, make some homemade ice cream, put on that swimsuit, go to a baseball game, see some fireworks, bait that hook. Don't miss what the season has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment