Saturday, March 27, 2010

Food Friday - The Saturday Edition

Well, you know life gets in the way of your blog some days, and yesterday was one of those days. We will have Food Friday - just on Saturday this week.

First, I gotta tell ya, D and I had a way fun evening out last night. We went to a fundraiser for our good friend, Butch Miller who is running for State Senate. While it goes without saying that we went because of Butch, I do believe D was swayed just a little bit by the location of this event. It was held in a local businessman's "barn." Please do not let the word barn fool you. This barn was huge and gorgeous and had never seen the likes of a farm animal. And on top of that, it was full, and I mean full, of probably 40 or 50 of the most beautiful vintage cars you have ever seen. These cars were pristine and I do believe I saw my husband drooling before the night was over. I'll have to admit, I had never seen anything like it. There isn't a vintage car museum that could have beat this. Overall, we just had the best evening visiting with our friends, oohing and aahing over the cars and enjoying some good BBQ.

Okay, back to the subject at hand - Food! Well, this week I'm giving a shout out to one of my best girlfriends and what I affectionately call, her famous chicken casserole. I have made this for many family dinners, Bible study meetings, girlfriend get togethers, friends/family recovering from sickness, welcoming new neighbors - and everyone loves it. I know this recipe by heart! It's easy, fast and delicious! So in honor of my good buddy, here is:

Jennifer's Famous Chicken Casserole
1 rotisserie chicken, least seasoned. Pull all white and dark meat off the bone.
1 box Uncle Ben's Original Recipe Long Grain Wild Rice, cook as directed
1 can cream of celery soup
1 chopped onion
1 cup of Hellman's mayonnaise *
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Combine. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

*for some reason, Hellman's mayonnaise gives this recipe a better taste. I am usually a Blue Plate girl but I always get a small jar of Hellman's for this recipe. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment