Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TV and Books

Well, yeah and woohoo! The sun is shining and pretty much that makes me totally happy! So, what is new in my life this week . . .

I'm sick to death and extremely (beyond actually) frustrated with the health care bill passing. Let's see what happens now especially regarding the tax-funded abortion status. Okay, that whole thing pretty much makes me sick at my stomach.

Speaking of such, Carol Everett who spoke at the Gainesville Care Center banquet last week was pow. er. ful. By pow. er. ful. I mean with her details of the abortion industry as well as the amazing work that God has done with her life. Her whole depiction of the abortion industry was disturbing at the least but her testimony gave proof to the redeeming power of our God. Praise Him!

On a lighter note and because I know you are dying to know such things, D and I are hooked on the new "Undercover Boss" show that comes on Sunday nights. It's great . . . the three episodes we've seen have included CEOs from 7-11, Churchill Downs and this past week, GSI Commerce. It is fascinating. If you haven't seen it, it is a reality series that follows these high-level executives as they slip anonymously into the ranks of their organization, doing various entry level jobs. At the end, the executives reveal their identities to their unsuspecting employees and reward them for their hard work. We love this show.

Okay, and did you see the season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars?" Overall, I was impressed. Some of these folks can flat dance and some of them, well . . . just can't. Buzz is an America hero to be sure but a dancer he isn't. But hey, he's 80 years old so more power to him. My favorites? The girls - Nicole Scherzinger and guys - Evan Lysacek. Although I think my husband had the sweet eye on Erin Andrews. After all, he was very familiar with her work as she does ESPNs commentary on college football and basketball and you gotta love that about a girl.

March Madness - the year of the upsets? If you root for the underdog you are having major success this season. Georgia Tech was our only remaining Georgia connection and they did us proud even if they did lose Sunday afternoon. D printed me out a bracket but I figure at this point it's shot all to pieces. But he is a faithful fan and is finishing his bracket out with high hopes of somehow showing at least a few winners to the finish.

Great book - I just finished Francine River's brand new book "A Mother's Hope." It is so good but doggone it, it is one written as a series and I now have to wait who knows how long to read the rest of the story. However, Ms. Rivers is a phenomenal writer and I love, love her books. So I'll cut her some slack for making me wait.

I also just finished Mary Kay Andrews, "Deep Dish." Ms. Andrews is a southern writer and I do love southern women writers. There is just nothing like them. This book revolves around two southern cooks and their respective cooking shows, all set in the state of Georgia. The book even gives a shout out to Gainesville, Lula, Cornelia and Clarkesville. It is a fun and light-hearted read. I laughed out loud and I love to do that.

Well, that's all for now. Just for the record, I really do have more going on in my life than tv and books. I do, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment