Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I'm such a Phone-y

Okay, I admit. I am crazy about my new phone. Now, you have to know my phone history to appreciate how far I’ve come. About a year ago, E and D took me to lunch under the pretense of a pleasant meal at Zaxbys. However, once there they told me that they had brought me there for a phone intervention. They said, “Honey/Mom, you will not be allowed to return home until you first go with us to the phone store for an upgrade.” But I love my Motorola flip phone that I’ve had for six years, and it only takes me 10 minutes to send someone a text, I said. I’m really okay. You know, change is always scary. But I reluctantly got in the car and went with them to the store and came out with a Blackjack that I soon warmed up to. Yes, texting was definitely a breeze compared to ye olden days. I learned a long time ago if you want to communicate with your young adult children, you must learn to text. So that feature was definitely a plus. Now I had taken that first step and had ventured out into the world of new phone technology. As I was feeling fairly confident about it, my gaze was caught by something with even more features and wonders. Oooh, I sure did like what I saw. But no, I couldn’t justify it. After all, I had stuck with Mr. Flip forever and now was I really going to dump Mr. Jack after only a year for something that could do practically everything but wash my hair? Am I really that fickle? Yes, yes apparently I am.

D had asked me a couple of times what I wanted for Valentine’s Day. You know, it’s a fine line between being subtle and getting something that you really would like to have. He is just a great gift giver because he usually listens so well and remembers what you said you would like to have. But this time, I was straight up and straight on. I want what you have, honey . . . I want an iphone. He knew I did because I had been practically drooling over his shoulder at his for several months.

So ladies and gentlemen, I am the proud owner of this new piece of technology. It’s pretty amazing. Warning to non-iphone users to avoid you a yawn and a snore: I’m going to talk apps for a minute so if you’re not into it, you have my permission to be excused.

My favorites (these are all free):
Benjamin Moore Color Capture. Allows you to snap a picture of any color inspiration and instantly match it to any one of the 3,000 hues in the BM system. Cool, huh?
CheckPlease – you just put in the total of your restaurant check and the percentage of tip you want to leave and it calculates the tip and total. Very handy.
Sudoku – supposedly this will help with my brain function. I need all the help I can get.
All Recipes –This is my favorite! I love it! E told me about this one and I am hooked! I love the AR standard website but I think this app even trumps it. It has what it calls the “Dinner Spinner.” You choose the Dish Type, Ingredients and “Ready In” time. It spins like a slot machine in Las Vegas and comes up with recipes to match your choices. Super cool!
Words with Friends – it is an ongoing Scrabble game that you play with others. Right now, E and I are playing and she is beating me – bad. I have a Q, F, D, A and 2 Hs. Have mercy.
One final one – the Kindle app. As you probably know because I have blabbed on and on about it, I have a Kindle that I adore. Well, last Friday I got an email that there was a Kindle app to go on my iphone. Get this - I can sync my Kindle with my iphone and read from both places. The screen on the iphone is so small compared to the Kindle that I wouldn’t do this on a regular basis but it just might come in handy while waiting in a waiting room or for Mother to shop at the Belks.
What are some other cool apps? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment