Sunday, March 14, 2010

What makes you think?

This is one of those random posts that was sparked by something I heard the other day. I was watching a promotional commercial about a new show on HGTV and this was a comment made by the host – “the biggest problem with a family business – the family.” Now, D and I are both fortunate and blessed (and I really do mean that) to work with our families but nonetheless, we both had to laugh. But you also must remember, we were practically delirious from watching mega amounts of television – vacillating between March Madness and HGTV depending on whose medication had knocked them out first. I didn’t even complain about watching “U-571,” a war movie with Matthew McConaughey – that’s how bad it was.

Anyway, I got to thinking about my favorite quotes. I love quotes, inspirational . . . or not. I keep a running mental list (although I think I should start recording them) of the ones that move me.

Here are a few:
1. “What separates from us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.” My favorite movie quote – ever – from “Steel Magnolias.”
2. “Don’t confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller the other.” Erma Bombeck.
3. “America has never been united by blood, birth or soil. We are bound by ideals that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests, and teach us what it means to be citizens.” George W. Bush, Inaugural Address, 2001
4. "I am not a smart man . . . but I know what love is.” Forrest Gump
5. “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say “I used everything you gave me.” Erma Bombeck.
6. “It’s not all about you.” Rick Warren, 1st words of Purpose Driven Life
7. “Southern women are not perfect. No, seriously, we’re not.” - What Southern Women Know
8. “Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.” Unknown.
9. “Just so you’ll know – and your children will know – that is the Night. the Lights. Went. Out. In. Georgia.” End of Julia Sugarbaker’s infamous speech to Marjorie Leigh Winnick, Miss Georgia World (Designing Women).
10. “Poppa, this is not Little Rock . . . this is Big Rock.” My very own daughter, at age 2, declared this to her Poppa after landing in the airport of Little Rock, Arkansas.
11. "Southern girls are God's gift to the entire male population. There is absolutely no woman finer than one raised below the Mason-Dixon line. Once you go Southern, may the good Lord help you, you never go back" ~ Kenny Chesney

12. Well said, Kenny. I knew you had some brains under that gi-normous cowboy hat. (Had to add that. I couldn't stand ending on 11. :))


No comments:

Post a Comment