Monday, March 29, 2010

From Generation to Generation - Part I

Something has been on my heart of late and I just can’t seem to shake it. Listen to what Psalm 78 says:

1 O my people, hear my teaching;
listen to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter hidden things, things from of old-
3 what we have heard and known,
what our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
his power, and the wonders he has done.
5 He decreed statutes for Jacob
and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our forefathers
to teach their children,
6 so the next generation would know them,
even the children yet to be born,
and they in turn would tell their children.
7 Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget his deeds
but would keep his commands.
8 They would not be like their forefathers—
a stubborn and rebellious generation,
whose hearts were not loyal to God,
whose spirits were not faithful to him
.

Two immensely important facts float to the surface in these eight verses:
1. Every generation has a new opportunity to exert positive influence. No matter what atrocity has taken place in your family line, God can raise up a new generation and turn the cycle in the direction of godly seed.
2. Between every unfaithful generation and faithful generation is one person determined to change. Maybe you would like to be a link that takes your family line from an unfulfilling life of religion to a passionate life of relationship with Christ. (from Breaking Free by Beth Moore)


Each generation has the power to break the family line of whatever sort of sin it has endured. Whatever that may be, we can be the generation that breaks free of that bondage. We can be the generation that teaches our children what a passionate relationship with Christ looks like. We can live daily in His power through prayer, trust and obedience to Him and His Word. We can be absolutely sure that God’s will for us is to give way to godly seed in our families.

“Among the most treasured gifts we could pass down to the next generation is authenticity. We accomplish little good when we praise the deeds of the Lord, but we live lives inconsistent with His Truth.”
Oh, how I want to be authentic. I don’t want to walk around with some sort of mask on hiding the real me and the real God. Believe me, I’ve done that before and I am done with it! Plain and simple, it’s exhausting. I so want my theology to meet head on with my reality. Every. Single. Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment