Thursday, January 6, 2011

Books - I Love Them!

I shared recently that one of my goals in 2011 was to read two books to month. You'll be glad to know I have already reached that goal for this month. And not to brag, but I have also memorized my verse and read my chronological Bible every day. But don't go thinkin' I'm a success story yet - I haven't darkened the door to the gym; lost an ounce; or de-cluttered a single thing. I'm a work in progress you know.

But I've just got to share about the books I've read. I downloaded Mary Beth Chapman's book, "Choosing To See" to my Kindle over the weekend and I think I had it read in 24 hours. I could not put this book down. Mary Beth, wife of Christian singer-songwriter, Steven Curtis Chapman, tells the story of her faith throughout her life and especially through the tragic death of their five year old daughter, Maria. Oh, my word. Her writing is funny, transparent and poignant. I laughed and cried but didn't leave this book in a sad, depressed state. Her family's faith journey through this tragedy is nothing less than amazing. It's a path you pray you never have to walk. She has truly honored God with her testimony.

On the opposite side of seriousness coin, I read Janice Thompson's book, "Fools Rush In." She is a Christian fiction author who has written a series about Bella . . you probably guessed it, the wedding planner. It's really not that I set out to read novels about wedding planners but they just keep popping up. It was an easy read and I loved it.

Now, I want to share something that has been particularly meaningful to me. My third book, which I have put down and picked back up while reading the other two, is Lysa Terkeurst's new book, "Made to Crave. . . Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God not Food." This book is speaking a word, a word I tell you, to me; this girl who has struggled all of her life with food issues. It's like she is talking straight to me. It's comforting in some twisted way I guess, to know that I'm not the only one on the planet who has rationalized and given in to food only to be caught in a guilt cycle later.

Here's a snippet:
"Losing weight is really about learning to tell myself no and learning to make wiser choices daily. . . Becoming a woman of self-discipline honors God and helps me live the godly characteristic of self-control. (Gal. 5:22) In the end, pursuing self-control does help my heart feel closer to Jesus and more pure to receive what He wants for me each day . . instead of clogged with guilty feelings over my poor choices.

Food isn't sinful. But when food is what Satan holds up in front of us and says, "You'll never be free from this battle. You will always bounce from feeling deprived when you're dieting to feeling guilty when you're splurging. Victory isn't possible. You aren't capable of self-control with food." We must see that its inappropriate consummation can be his lure to draw our heart into a place of defeat."

Lysa shares that she often prays this prayer: "I need wisdom to make wise choices. I need insight to remember the words I've read in Scripture. I need power beyond what I can find on my own." Well, amen and amen.

Have you ever stopped to think that it was with food that Satan tempted Eve? Now don't you think that gives food a little validity as a victory-stealer? I should say so. Ladies, I do believe no one on this planet has wasted more thought time on weight issues than me. I am not proud of that fact. But Lysa's book and God's Word are beginning to change my thought process about food and how Satan wants me to stay in defeat about it. I so want to honor God with my self-control (which I certainly have not been exhibiting over the holidays) and not let Satan get the victory on this one. Satan knows my weakness but I'm determined to slap that 'ole boy silly with my reliance on God. Lord, help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment