Monday, January 17, 2011

There She Is

I cannot believe I posted yesterday and didn't say a word about the Miss America pageant Saturday night. I'll just be honest, watching the pageant makes me miss my girl. Back in ye olden days when she was at home, we were faithful watchers of the pageant together. We would discuss who had the best hair (or biggest), the best talent and without a doubt, the best evening gown. It was a bonding experience of sorts.

I had forgotten about it and was watching the Falcons game with the boys. Then . . . I get a text from E - "I'm watching Miss America." Whoa. Hold Up. You're what? I spring for the bedroom, turn on my electric blanket and settle in. So since my girl wasn't right upstairs, we did the next best thing and texted back and forth through the entire program. Here's a sample:

"I think the bob is the new pageant hair-do" (which I decided was a myth because none of the girls with the cute bob made it to the top 10)

"Some of these girls have a little meat on their bones. I like that." (We like girls who look like they eat more than a carrot stick a day)

"These dresses. Love the first. Hate the next three." (We have strong opinions about evening gowns)

"I just noticed that Miss Delaware is wearing a wig. Impressive." (She had a disease that caused her to lose her hair as a child)

"Wow. A ventriloquist?" (And a yodeling ventriloquist no less)

"Miss Nebraska is the youngest Miss America ever. Born in 1993." (The snow boots I wore just last week were older than that)

So, Miss Nebraska is the new Miss America at the ripe old age of 17 years old. I just can't imagine if I had been Miss America at the age of 17. I thought going to the Dairy Queen was a big deal back then. I did, however, have good sense about evening gowns. I wore a Gunne Sax to my senior prom. It was The.Bomb. With or without a crown.

1 comment:

  1. I watched it too! AND, the new Miss America is a 17 yr old Christian! I saw her on Fox with Gretchen Carlson on Monday. She's adorable. I noticed that the South was pretty much shut out this year...unusual!

    ReplyDelete