Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow and Inaugural Day!

Well, here in the great state of Georgia three monumental things happened today:
1. Snow along with freezing rain blanketed north Georgia - 6 1/2 inches at our house.
2. Our friend, Nathan Deal was sworn in as the 82nd governor of our state. Yes, we were supposed to be there for the Swearing-In and yes, I would be putting on my new dress and shoes right about now to sashay over to Philips Arena for the Inaugural Gala but . . . it wasn't meant to be. We hear that The Gala will be rescheduled sometime in the spring so I will in fact get to wear that "expensive" ball gown I told you about after all.
3. All of my family including G's sweet girl were under my roof last night. This doesn't happen often at all so I sure do enjoy it when it does. If things had gone as planned, we were all six going to go to the Inaugural Festivities today. Instead, some of us played in the snow; played cards; and overall, just had a great time being together. So, all things considered, it has been a good day. It will really be a good day when D and G get back home after being out taking employees home. Yes, we opened one store. And it was packed. I guess some folks didn't believe the weather experts when they started predicting this last week.

I've just got to share one thing before I go in there to make Macho Nachos. Nachos are in order because there is a HUGE football game going on tonight and we are gonna watch those SEC boys kick some football butt. Oh, excuse me, I got sidetracked.

On Friday, after we finished up the What's for Supper? segment, BJ asked me if I could do something "inaugural specific" for today's recipe because they were going to devote the show to that topic. At first, I thought, how in the WORLD would I create a recipe that is "inaugural specific." But I said sure I would just like I knew what I was going to do. So I thought and thought and thought some more and then about 3:00 Saturday afternoon, it came to me. So I ran to the JandJ, got all of the ingredients for my creation and hoped and prayed that it would be edible once I made it. Because if it wasn't, I really didn't have a plan B. Thankfully, it was edible and more, if I do say so myself.

So . . . in honor of Gov. Deal's inauguration and the great state of Georgia, I humbly submit my recipe:

Gov. Deal's Georgia Stuffed "Cut the Pork" Chops

Ingredients:
2 cups packaged cornbread stuffing mix
½ cup finely chopped pecans
8 ounces diced peaches, undrained
6 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 bone-in center loin pork chops (1 inch thick)
½ cup peach preserves
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine the stuffing mix, pecans, peaches, water and butter. Cut a pocket in each pork chop by slicing almost to the bone. Stuff with the peach mixture and secure with wooden toothpicks. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
2. Combine preserves, peanut butter and mustard; spread over chops. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes or until meat juices run clear.

By the way, I'm available to go to the Governors Mansion and make this dish for the folks down there if they want me to. I'm just sayin.'

No comments:

Post a Comment