Friday, January 14, 2011

Happy Food Friday!

Hello dear friends! I've got a little bit of "cabin fever" going as I've been on snow-restriction most of the week. I am going to attempt to get my car out of the garage in just a little bit for the first time since last Saturday. Our driveway is solid ice and uphill to the street so I'm not sure how it will go but by-golly and by-george, I'm gonna get out of here one way or another.

So what are your plans for the weekend? We have dinner plans TWO nights in a row. I know, aren't we the social butterflies you just knew we were? not. We're meeting some friends we haven't seen in almost a year for dinner tonight in Dahlonega. One couple has moved from our area and the others, well, time flies and we just haven't gotten together. Isn't that just sad? Life gets whirling so fast that pretty soon you realize that you have friends you haven't seen in forever. I just hate that.

I'm so excited to see all of these precious people I could just jump for joy. Except that I went back to the gym last night for the first time in like two months and trust me, there will be no jumping today. There will barely be walking today. I'm determined to live up to my goal of healthy choices and that includes that stupid gym (I'm sorry - I always told my children that stupid was a bad word and I'll stand by that except when used in reference to the gym). Once again, my sweet husband was my motivation because honestly if it had been up to me I would have stayed under my electric blanket last night. But he was feeling all energetic when he got home from work and gently insisted that I join him at the gym. Ahh. He practically bolts in the front door while I lag behind, careful not to fall on the ice, mind you, and begins his 6 mile run. 6 miles. Well, I was doing great until I hit about oh, mile 1 and then I thought I would die. But you know, I got to thinking about that. If you die at the gym, people will think you were this super in-shape person so there would be worse places to die, like at the Krispy Kreme.
Anyway, I was wheezing, gasping and stopping every 2 minutes to see if G had texted me about my instructions for fixing dinner (that's my story okay). Yes, so overall, it was a wonderful experience. I finally put in my miles and then I bolted for the door! Maybe someday I'll fall in love with the gym and exercising. A girl can dream.

So, Food Friday! I really wanted to put up my recipe for the Buckeye Brownies I have sitting on my counter. But given now what I've said about the gym, you might think I was a contradiction of sorts. I am.

So, how about a great Weight Watcher recipe I found? I am making this for my family Sunday night and I can hardly wait.

Spicy Shrimp and Lobster Linguine
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
1 lobster tail (about 1/2 pound)
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 lb. linguine, cooked according to package directions; drain
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in very large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add onions and garlic. Saute 10 minutes until golden. Add tomatoes, wine, oregano, crushed pepper, salt, sugar, and ground pepper; bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes until flavors are blended and sauce is slightly thickened.
3. Meanwhile, remove meat from lobster tail and cut it into 1/2-inch pieces. (To pry meat out, cut away soft undercover with scissors and ease away meat from shell with your fingers.) Add lobster and shrimp to sauce and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes until just opaque.
4. Toss pasta with sauce and sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings; 7 points per serving

Happy Friday, Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment