Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What I've Learned and Various Other Things

Some things I've learned since I talked to you last (and some I already knew):

1. No matter the age, size or shape of a group of ladies when they get together somehow the talk will turn to hair . . . or shoes. It's the universal icebreaker. You've heard the Southern greeting: "Love your hair, love your shoes, how's your momma?" Well, that is just pretty close to the truth. It was so fun to be with a bunch of women all in one place talking about God, ministry and where they got those boots. Men do not have that much fun together I'm just sure of it.
2. It's all in the timing. I got kinda worried about when I was scheduled to speak on Friday. I don't know about the whole female population but to me there are two things that can happen right after lunch: go to sleep or go to the bathroom. Thankfully, these ladies did neither. I would have probably done both.
3. I want to have a bigger servant's heart. I saw two precious ladies who served and loved on this bunch of women like no body's business. They inspired me.
4. I love speaking on something I'm passionate about. (I guess you shouldn't be speaking about something you aren't passionate about but you know what I mean.) It was a thrill for me to pour out my heart about something that God has seared into me.
5. I do not like to drive in Atlanta - at all.
6. I love to stay in a hotel room with my husband.
7. I love sleeping late on Sunday morning. This rarely happens for us but when given the opportunity you better believe we took advantage of it.
8. I really like Hardee's hamburgers. I had the 1/3 lb. Thickburger and oh my, it was delish.
9. I would love to be a food stylist for Southern Living. One of SL staff stylists taught a class I attended on Saturday and she was just so cool and talented. Of course, she did have a double Master's degree in Culinary Arts and Art Design. (I don't have that) And a really adorable haircut. (I don't have that either).
10. We all should take a pie break. We had an mid-afternoon pie break at the conference and they served about ten different kinds of pies, ie. Apple and Cheddar; Sweet Potato with Gingerbread Crust; Chocolate Fudge, just to name a few. I think it should become custom that every day about 3:30 we break for pie, like an afternoon siesta break. They do that in other countries, you know. Oh and a bumper sticker: "I brake for pie."
11. Birmingham is a really cool city. Now granted we didn't see much of it, but where we stayed had this really interesting funky, artsy vibe. That might be attributed to the fact that it was next to UAB. Colleges are known to have that effect on their surroundings.
12. Never take just one pair of shoes (or boots in my case) for a four day getaway. I NEVER do that. What was I thinking? I took enough clothes for two weeks but only one pair of shoes?? Big.Mistake. (think Julia Roberts) Big.Mistake.
13. Have the onion rings at Bahama Breeze. Now, you might think, given these points that all I have done all week is eat pie, hamburgers and onion rings. You might be right but that's not ALL I've done. But we did meet my "sisters" (D's aunts) and their hubbys at BB Sunday night and I left wondering why I hadn't been there in five years. Oh, it was so good!
14. Okay, and the very last point to this endless ramble. Cracker Barrell has the best gift shop EVER! It's awesome! Everytime I go there I find about ten things that I would like to come home with me. So this time, I just got two. But I wanted ten.

Just a reminder for any of my buddies in Gainesville. Today is the Buy Local Expo at the Georgia Mountain Center from 1:00 - 6:00 p.m. I'll be there most of the afternoon and will do the radio segment live from there. This is a great event that encourages all of us to BUY LOCAL! It's so important to our local economy!

No comments:

Post a Comment